Recipe No.1: Pesto Ratatouille

18:30

Pesto, pesto, pesto. Oh how I love thee! I am literally obsessed with it. I have actually decided that if I had one item that I could live on for the rest of my life it would be my pesto pasta with garlicy mushrooms. However the recipe today is a summery one. One that I turn too if I need to use up my old vegetables in the fridge. And being a classic (with a twist), it is also one that can be done in one dish, therefore less washing up (also a good thing for a student). This recipe is also gluten and lactose free, and perfect for vegans and vegetarians as well.


Ingredients (to serve 2 as a main, or 4 as a side dish):

1 Onion

1 Courgette
1 Pepper (I prefer red for sweetness)
5 Spring Onions
4 Jersey Royal Potatoes
1 Clove of Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Pesto (basil preferably, homemade if possible)
½ Tin of Chopped Tomatoes

Method:


- Turn on the oven to 180'C/350'F/Gas Mark 4

- Slice all the vegetable and garlic thinly and place in a roasting tin. Add the tablespoons of pesto and 1 tablespoon of oil (I use sunflower as it has no taste) and mix together. I also like to add a bit of black pepper. 
- Cover the roasting tin with foil and place in the oven for 20mins.
- After 20mins, the vegetable should be starting to become soft and juicy. Add the tomatoes and stir the vegetables in the roasting tin. Taste the sauce and season if necessary. (I sometimes find that tinned tomatoes can be sour, so I add a tiny bit of sugar, about half a teaspoon, to bring out the sweetness).
- Place back in the over and cooked for 40 minutes with the occasional stir. In the last 20 minutes, remove the foil from the roasting tin. 
- Serve in your favourite bowl or plate. 



I personally like to eat it just how it is as a main meal, but you can serve it with other things such as pasta or as a side to meat. 

Zoe 
x

You Might Also Like

0 comments