Tokyo Adventure Day 3: Ueno Zoo

15:51

Our adventures continue... 


Day 3:

"We woke up at a normal time in comparison to the day before (~9am) and headed to Ueno Park with Michael, an American we met at our hostel, tagging along. After leaving Ueno Station, we walked up and came across a vast wide open space, with the National Museum looming in the distance. We entered the museum, which cost us 600 yen (£3.50, absolute bargain!) and saw a vast impressive collection of Japanese and Asian history. As we didn't want to leave the site too early, and because it was another boiling hot day, we decided to eat at one of the on-site restaurants. We all ordered food and Charlie had some seafood dish that looked mouthwatering. Mine however not so much. I ordered the pork cutlet with rice, which surprisingly came with scrambled egg on top, something I had forgotten the Japanese like to do. However to my amazement it was very tasty, especially since I cannot stand egg.
Jumping in front of the National Museum
One of many pieces found in the Museum


Charlie's (above) and my lunch at one of the National Museum's restaurants
Michael then left Charlie and I as we wanted to go to the Zoo in Ueno Park. We saw lions, tigers and polar bears! And of course many other creatures, including pandas! So cool! We also rode the monorail and chilled amongst the parks beautiful gardens. It was about 4ish when we left the zoo. I highly recommend visiting Ueno Zoo, it is by far the best zoo I have been too. It cost us 700 yen (£4) a bargain in comparison to London Zoo, and all the animals looked happy to be there, which I find most zoo animals do not. 
Selfie with my Polar Bear friend at Ueno Zoo
One of the views from sitting in Ueno Zoo. This is over looking a load of gigantic lily pads, with Tokyo skyscrapers in the distance
We then walked around the park more and found some market stores. It was here that I came across one store selling yukatas and kimonos. Of course I bought a full KIMONO for a bargain price of 4000yen, about £23, which I bartered down from 5000yen. It was verified by the ladies in the hostel that it was real and that they thought one piece alone would have cost around 8000yen (£47)! Also they said I had good taste and that they helped me try it on. So happy to finally have one. I was going to wear it out but then thought it would be too hot to wear.  
Me in my Kimono, after the lovely ladies at the hostel helped me to put it on
We then went with Michael to find the fireworks near the Tokyo Docks. The fireworks happen every Saturday throughout Tokyo, so we could miss them. They were awesome but we couldn't get a good view because we didn't have tickets, something next time I will look into. We still saw some amazing displays and the streets surrounding were packed with beautiful girls in traditional yukatas. After a while of trying to get a better view, and being herded by the incredibly organised police, we decided to head back to Asakusa. I also had Mos burger for dinner, scrummy! 
Summer Fireworks
Tomorrow we move hostels, I will certainly miss this one."


Zoe 
x

You Might Also Like

0 comments